Tuesday, 20 May 2014

The beginning when it all fell apart!!!

      Why do we as women put some much pressure on ourselves to be perfect, the perfect wife, mother, housewife, lover, friend, we hold ourselves up to sometimes impossible standards & when we don't get it right we feel somehow lesser beings, a failure, never good enough.

      After what has been a roller coaster last five years in my life, I find myself questioning everything that is me, who am I these days, where do I fit into this world, what is my place these days, where am I heading, it has taken my probably my whole life to come to the realization that I need to find myself and be happy with that person. It is time to stop being who I think others see me as, stop trying to be something I'm not just to keep other people happy, I need to like myself again, to feel worthy, to be confident within myself, It is only then that I will feel whole again. 

      Five years ago, I was working full time, racing around after two kids, with a husband who was away more often than he was home as he serves in the navy. I was non-stop busy, but things were going well, we were planning on a family trip to Hawaii to meet hubby who was going to be on exercise over there. Work was stressful but fulfilling, I was an assistant manger for a major auto parts company, I had been offered the chance to train to step up to a managers position, seeing I had worked there for nearly 10yrs, I planned to use some long service leave at Christmas/New Years time to go camping with my extended family. We had a wonderful family holiday, spent with family in Victoria and headed back to work/school renewed and refreshed, little did we know what was around the corner.

     Towards the end of feb 2010, hubby was away for a week or two at a time, it was the day before he left for one of these weekly trips that I felt a lump in my left breast, I'd had them before, they had turned out to be nothing. I farewelled my husband without letting him know about the lump, even though this one felt very different to any other, I didn't want him distracted from his job by worrying about me. I saw my doctor on the Monday, he was a little concerned, so I was booked in for tests on thursday, by the time I had been squashed in the mammogram machine for the 5th time I knew something wasn't right, 11 mammograms later, I could see a black mass where one shouldn't be. I had to wait 24hrs for the results and to this day I remember the moment my doctor said it appears cancerous. Next came the biopsy which confirmed breast cancer.

     I left the doctors office drove home and remember standing in the middle of my kitchen, shaking, crying, thinking OMG what do I now, my husband is at sea, my parents are 1000kms away, my children will be home from school in an hour, what the hell do I do.
      
  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment